Profile of Partnership School Nansomba Secondary
Nansomba Secondary is in the south of Malawi in the beautiful area of Mulanje. The school has 275 boys and 242 girls; total 517 with 17 teachers and 5 support staff.
OUR MOTTO: Aim high to succeed.
OUR MISSION STATEMENT:
At Nansomba secondary school our mission through combined effort of teaching staff, parents, students and the community is to provide students with a foundation in a wide range of skills, to provide a positive work ethic, to create an environment that harbours tolerance and respect for each other and to spark an attitude of enquiry and an enthusiasm for learning that will enable our students to become confident, responsible and productive citizens.
OUR GOALS AND AIM:
As a school, we are very much delighted with the partnership that has been established with our sister school, Lenzie Academy. In this view, we cherish this partnership which we feel will be of beneficial to both schools.
The school has the following goals which it would like to achieve in its partnership with Lenzie Academy:
- We exchange skills in the teaching profession.
- We exchange and diversify the cultural aspects between the two schools.
- We learn from each other how to achieve social justice and equity among students of the two schools.
- We learn from each other how best the two schools can achieve peaceful conflict management amongst students and the communities they come from.
- We achieve sustainable development and globalization.
To achieve the stipulated goals the school aims are:
- Sensitizing the members of staff as well as the students of its partnership with Lenzie Academy.
- Forming partnership clubs at the school in specific subject areas e.g. in humanities, languages and sciences.
- Enhancing pupil to pupil and teacher to teacher contact (pen pals) between Nansomba Secondary School and Lenzie Academy students.
Having reciprocal visits between teachers and young people of the two schools to discuss, share and plan joint curricular work with global education themes.
Nansomba Secondary school offers the formal curriculum in the following subjects following under the three faculty departments of Languages, Sciences and Humanities as follows:
History, Geography, Social Studies, Social and Development Studies, Life Skills, Bible Knowledge.
English and Chichewa (the national language of Malawi).
Mathematics, Physical Science, Biology, Business Studies, Computer Studies, Agriculture and Physical Education.
The pupils at the school have to pass an entrance exam and may come from villages far away. Some pupils travel as much as 10km to get to school. Pupils have to pay a fee to attend the school (only primary education is free in Malawi). The school has a real need to develop better accommodation for the students and is in much need of basic teaching resources that we take for granted here in Scotland.
What can we do at Lenzie Academy to build our partnership?
- Develop a whole school approach to a partnership with Nansomba Secondary.
- Create learning contexts that raise awareness of Malawi.
- Create professional dialogue with our Malawian colleagues.
- Support fund raising activities.
Lenzie Academy has been working with pupils, staff, parents and the local community to support the development of better resources for the pupils at Nansomba Secondary School.